Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nauvoo take two

Mike is now the Young Men's Secretary for our ward. So when he got his first meeting in Nauvoo, the boys and I hitched a ride. Mike and I were married in Nauvoo and NEVER dreamed we'd be in it's stake. After the two hour ride and One $108 speeding ticket (mike's not that perfect after all), the boys and I dropped the clan off for their meeting and set sail for tourism.

Turns out that winter isn't really a hot time to be touring Nauvoo. We found the Smith Cemetery where Joseph Smith Jr., his wife Emma, and his brother Hyrum are buried. It's a peaceful place. However FAR too cold to be posing for pictures.
Cemetery overlooks Missouri River
Smith Cemetery
Cranney Fam. stayed at this lovely home for our wedding.

Mike's personal tour of the cemetery
Being here in the winter really helped us realize what a horrible journey the saints had when thy left Nauvoo. Bloody footprints in the snow. We are so glad to be warm and have many modern amenities.

3 comments:

The Hartle's said...

Looks like fun! I mean cold fun!

Morgan said...

snort
if you would have asked me, i would have told you 2 things-nauvoo is a horrible place to be in the winter(hello-ever read any church history?) and also- if you get pulled over on the way to nauvoo, you got problems. i've been 100 times and never even seen a cop car. so mike....

Chalyse said...

Oh, so much fun!!! I loved catching up on all your posts. You are a blogging fool lately!!! I shed a little tear when i saw porters cute birthday. Way to go super mommy, looks like he loved it! Also, you are looking so cute and skinny, so keep up the good work! We miss you TONS!!! Oh, and to add to this novel of a comment, we got talmage a fish for his b-day. good luck with that, i ended up trying to starve them to death (because i was prego and couldn't handle cleaning their tank without wanting to hurl), it worked on 1 of them but the other one was a survior, he just wouldn't die!